Sunday, June 30, 2013

The ISBN Project

Hello my dear readers,

Today I have a very special project to introduce- the ISBN Project. The premise of the project is simple- the subject provides me with the title of their favorite book. I then take that title and find the ISBN (International Standard Book Number). After the ISBN has been found, the subject chooses a place on their body and the ISBN is stenciled onto that location. The area is then photographed against a black background. 

This project is very dear to me because A) I am a bookworm and I wish to earn my Master in Library Sciences, B) I believe that a person's favorite book reveals something about who they are, and C) I am intrigued by the way in which we, as a society, define ourselves by numbers (school ID numbers, social security, height, weight, credit card numbers, etc.). I hope that this volunteer based project will cause people to consider these themes, and perhaps give them a glimpse into the lives of those around them. 

I have already completed one volunteer's image, which was shot this past Easter when I first conceived the project. I then placed the project on hold while I completed my Bachelor's degree and had stencils made. The stencils are now complete and I hope to begin shooting very soon! If any of you are interested in participating or are just curious about the project, please feel free to email me at akphotog@hotmail.com. 

 

I hope that you are all having an amazing summer, 
AK



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my work and for leaving me feedback! I really appreciate it! Have a great rest of your day!