Monday, April 28, 2014

Better Late Than Never- The Opportunities We Almost Miss



This past Monday we dyed eggs. My mom, my dad, and I sat in the kitchen and drew faces onto chilly eggs with Crayola crayons. We experimented with melted wax and with onion dye (it makes a parchment color that is rather pretty, however the eggs also end up smelling like... well onions), and we laughed at our egg-shaped portraits. Like children we played and laughed and explored the limitations of a simple egg-dying kit. When our kit proved faulty (we had three greens), we giggled and my mom pointed out that "at least they are a pretty green." 


Then, when all the eggs were gone, we drifted through the kitchen erasing the signs of our activity. One by one we bid each other adieu and headed for the comfort of our beds. I believe we each went our own ways filled with contentment that only such a spontaneous and happy gathering can bring. Oddly enough, it was this moment, done a day behind and rather unplanned, that has become my favorite mental snapshot of this Easter. 





Always leave yourself open to opportunities such as this one. This is a lesson that I often fail on, but one that I am constantly being reminded of. The moments are often small, but they have a great potential for shared joy. 

 Sincerely ,
AK


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my work and for leaving me feedback! I really appreciate it! Have a great rest of your day!